“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait
a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
— Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
NAMI Pasco needs your help to continue improving the lives of the mentally ill in our community. We are an ALL-volunteer organization whose mission is serving consumers with psychiatric disabilities and offering support and education for their families, friends, and loved ones.
NAMI Pasco would like to expand services in the East and Central Pasco county area. Volunteers are needed to conduct our Family Support Groups, Connection Groups, and our Family Education Classes. To learn more please see the description and application at the bottom of this page.
Because of volunteers like you…
- Parents can learn to advocate for their school-aged children while empowering themselves to overcome new challenges in our Basics class.
- Families can learn communication and problem-solving techniques, coping mechanisms, and self-care skills in our Family-to-Family class and Family Support Groups.
- People living with a mental illness can recover, find community, and lead their best lives in our Peer-to-Peer class and Connection Support Groups.
- Veterans can find recovery and community in our Vet-to-Vet Support Groups.
- Health care providers can learn to respond effectively to families and gain empathy and understanding of what it is like to live with a mental illness in our Provider Education class.
- Faith communities can learn to offer caring, understanding and support that promote healing and recovery through our FaithNet program.
- Upper elementary, middle school, and high school students can learn about mental illness and reducing stigma through our Breaking the Silence educational package. There is no prior training required for teachers.
- Hundreds of people affected by mental illness can receive information and resources to better their lives with the help of NAMI Pasco’s volunteers and free resources.
You are the change you wish to see in this world.
Many many thanks to you!
There are so many good reasons to volunteer:
- Make new friends
- Build social networks
- Learn new skills
- Improve your resume (employers LOVE to see community involvement)
- Make a difference in your life and others around you
- Develop empathy and compassion
- Bring happiness to others around you and, most importantly, to yourself
- Challenge yourself
- Have fun
- And, improve your health (no kidding: check out the research!)
Here are just a few of the ways you can make a difference in someone’s life (and your own):
- Help the Board of Directors with administrative tasks: collate brochures and prepare mailings.
- Advocate for mental health consumer and family issues by identifying and supporting helpful/harmful legislation, calling, writing and visiting legislators and local public officials.
- Staff a NAMI Pasco table at college and community events.
- Follow up on grant requests to foundations, public agencies, and local philanthropists (businesses and individuals).
- When available, receive Family-to-Family, Peer-to-Peer, NAMI Connection or In Our Own Voice training and offer these NAMI resources to the Pasco community; you can do this by becoming a family or consumer support group leader, a NAMI teacher, or a Connections facilitator (Champion).
- Help with the NAMI December Holiday Party
Advisory Board Opportunities
Being a member of the Advisory Board is a great opportunity to make a difference in the community and lend your expertise to our organization. Please reach us through our Contact page and we’ll respond with an application and next steps.