For Those With Mental Health Conditions
NAMI Connection is a recovery support group for adults living with mental health issues. Attendees learn from each others’ experiences, share coping strategies, and offer each other encouragement and understanding.
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop relationships. The group encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community.
NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group will help you:
– See the individual first, not the illness
– Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
– Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
– Aim for better coping skills
– Find strength in sharing experiences
– Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
– Not judge anyone’s pain
– Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
– Embrace humor as healthy
– Accept that we cannot solve every problem
– Work for a better future in a realistic way
What People are Saying
“NAMI Connection has enabled me to take a good look at my illness and see that I am not alone. The program has given me additional tools to not only accept my illness, but to help others along the way.”
“… People can solve problems [at a NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group]. It isn’t just a bunch of sad stories; people are coming up with solutions and stuff to do for the next week. One of our group attendees is taking her meds and getting herself to her counselor and is just about able to go back to her career in great part due to Connection.”
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a free, eight-session educational program for adults with mental health conditions who are looking to better understand themselves and their recovery.
Taught by trained leaders with lived experience, this program includes activities, discussions and informative videos. However, as with all NAMI programs, it does not include recommendations for treatment approaches.
What You’ll Gain
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a safe, confidential space. The course provides an opportunity for mutual support and growth. Experience compassion and understanding from people who relate to your experiences. This is a place to learn more about recovery in an accepting environment.
NAMI Peer-to-Peer helps you:
- Set a vision and goals for the future
- Partner with health care providers
- Develop confidence for making decisions
- Practice relaxation and stress reduction tools
- Share your story
- Strengthen relationships
- Enhance communication skills
- Learn about mental health treatment options
What People Are Saying
“I am now aware that I’m not alone. I’d like to become more involved with NAMI and advocacy.”
“I’ve really learned how to cope with my triggers better, and I’m now on the path to truly loving myself.”
“NAMI Peer-to-Peer gave me hope when I was close to giving up. I realized that things can and do get better and that my mental health condition doesn’t define me. I learned how to speak up for myself, build a strong support network and make plans for my future. I felt welcome and like I was among friends. Most importantly, I felt heard and understood.”
“I’ve learned how to communicate with my parents about what’s going on with me.”
“It was really nice being with people who understood.”