Check our 2018 Calendar for upcoming classes. Registration is open now.
Winter Class starting January 17, 2018
It’s a unique, experiential learning program for people with any form of mental illness interested in establishing and maintaining wellness and recovery. Our free10-week course for Individuals with a mental illness is taught by two trained NAMI Pasco peers.
Check out our Peer-to-Peer Outreach Video at namipasco.org/classes
More Background Info:
Peer-to-Peer consists of ten two-hour units and is taught by a team of two trained “mentors” and a volunteer support person who are personally experienced at living well with mental illness. Mentors are trained in an intensive three-day training session and are supplied with teaching manuals.
Participants come away from the course with a binder of hand-out materials, as well as many other tangible resources: an advance directive; a “relapse prevention plan” to help identify tell-tale feelings, thoughts, behavior, or events that may warn of impending relapse, and how to organize for intervention; mindfulness exercises to help focus and calm thinking; and survival skills for working with providers and the general public in the community.
To read more information about this program click here
For more information call (727) 992-9653
NAMI Pasco Family-to-Family Education Course
The free NAMI Family-to-Family course is designed to give family members a better understanding of the mental illness disease process, its treatment, and the psychosocial issues that surround caring for persons with an altered mental state. It puts you in touch with other families experiencing the same difficulties, providing needed support for those difficult times. Areas covered in the class include:
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders.
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence.
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery.
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness.
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques.
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse.
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community.
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
To register for future classes call (727) 992-9653 or fill out our contact form on this site. Class is free and seats are limited to the first 25 people.
NAMI Pasco Basics Education Program
The fundamentals of caring for you, your family, and your child with mental illness. NAMI Basics is the new signature education program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illnesses. The program was developed around elements that have been extensively tested and found to be highly effective in the field. Find more information here.
Contact NAMI Pasco at (727) 992-9653 with questions about program schedules or check the Calendar link on this website.